Sunday 19 April 2015

RANDAM RANT - BRYCE'S GGO VOICE

What did I think of GGO Kirito's English voice?

So last year, I did an article speculating on how Aniplex would do the GGO Kirito voice since his avatar looks like a girl. Today Episode 4 of Sword Art Online II aired in which we got our answer after hearing no news about a replacement for Bryce Papenbrook.

My thoughts?

Well first things first, Bryce still voices Kirito even in GGO form. He uses a much gentler, softer voice which sounds a little weird. I'm not going to deny that. His regular voice is a little raspy so the fact he could negate most of it and come up with such an androgynous sounding voice for Kirito is quite amazing. 


There's also the fact that GGO Kirito didn't have that many lines in this episode. Most of them were responses or short explanations. Most of the dialogue and exposition was handled by Sinon. I think it kinda works as it eases you into the voice.

I also expressed how gutted I would be if they cast somebody else as GGO Kirito. Bryce is awesome in the role. We don't want to lose that, even if the GGO Kirito voice will take some getting used to.


As for the voice itself, I don't have any problems with it. I don't know how, but it fits in a weird gender-bendy way. I'm sure there will be some moments when I'm thinking 'wish they'd cast a female VA', but I'm sure everyone gets those thoughts. Thankfully they don't bother me. In fact, after the episode concluded, I thought about rewatching it immediately and I rarely have those thoughts. 

Having the protagonist suddenly become so feminine and not changing the voice is a big deal. I'm sure there were deep talks on the subject, but in the end, not only did they dodge a bullet (pun intended), but they managed to solve the problem in such a way that almost everybody (I'm sure they are folks who hate it) were happy. Here's looking forward to hearing Michelle Ruff and Bryce Papenbrook next week as Sinon and Kirito.

No comments:

Post a Comment